Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Boycott on MAP

boycott seattle
Recently, I read an article that consisted of the boycott in Seattle, California, where teachers have disallowed MAP testing. Not only have all the teachers gone against this testing, but so have students, parents, and the PTSA of that region, with many more followers joining in.
It even made it to CNN:

I have never really been a fan of the MAP test, a standardized test that tests the knowledge of students and adapts its difficulty to measure progress on each subject, but I would personally be okay with the removal of the MAP testing, for a couple of reasons.
Firstly, one does not get a grade for any good progress, but it is only a guideline for teachers and parents to know the progress of students. According to my other classmates, they see the test as a free class, despite taking the test. I try my best on these tests, but I also see no reason to do so with the format of said test, leading to my next point.
The test features random questions for each student. This is good for variety, but not all of the content has been previously taught to students. A student may have studied geometry and algebra, but the test may display a question regarding lessons that have not yet been taught to the student. Another example regards the English language. I have been asked many times to show the meaning of a Latin root. I have rarely been taught such roots, but I still manage to answer a select number of these questions.
I do not have a problem with the general style of the MAP, since I see the need to measure the progress of each student, but I also agree with Hagopian with his opinion on an MAP substitute:
“Many others, myself included, believe that portfolios, which collect student work and demonstrate yearlong student growth, would be a good replacement for the MAP. Such assessments would be directly tied to our curriculum and would demonstrate improvement over time rather than a random snapshot of a student on one particular day.”
Therefore, I would be happy with one of two of these options, the first being the described portfolio, and the second being a modified MAP test, with content relating to what is taught in class.

The image, video and quotes have been found from:


Tolley, William J. "Under Pressure." Process of Living. Word Press, 27 Jan. 2013. Web. 29 Jan. 2013. <http://processofliving.com/2013/01/27/under-pressure/>.

No comments:

Post a Comment