Sunday, October 21, 2012

Academic Leadership: Time Management

Before the due date, write a blog post in which you reflect on the time management goals you set on 19/20 Sept. In your paragraph, include whether or not you met your goals, any problems you had, any successes you had, and anything you learned. Also include an updated version of your goals based on your experience.

My original goal was to focus in my work for a longer time span, as I tend to daze off into deep space out of boredom. Sometimes, I want to pay attention, but my focus fails on me and I turn my attention to the slightest change of thought instead. This is the only problem that may keep me from becoming a better learner. I set a goal based on the tip given to me:


"If you drift off, try visualizing a red stop light. Hold that image for a few seconds, then switch to a green light and go back to work." 

I used this tip, since I am confident that I have already followed the other ones on a regular basis. With this technique, I formed a simple goal: I will focus on my work by avoiding drifting off, at least 8 out of 10 times.” 

This help was hard to follow, as I forget new routine easily. I applied this to the incorrect subjects, such as Geometry and Band, two classes I am most interested in. I learned to not apply rules to where they are not needed, giving improvement to other classes that I lose focus in more easily, such as History, Brazilian Culture, Portuguese, and ironically, Academic Leadership. It isn´t mainly my fault that I do not focus in these classes, but sometimes these subjects are hard to understand, hard to pay attention to, or just simply uninteresting (no offense to the teachers of these classes).

I have only tweaked my goal to focus seven out of ten times, instead of eight. I also apply this goal to History, Brazilian Culture, Academic Leadership and Portuguese, since I can give a push-start to the classes I need to pay attention the most in, based on my experience. I sincerely hope that this updated goal helps me in my education, allowing me to be a more focused learner.

No comments:

Post a Comment