Monday, September 3, 2012

Academic Leadership: College


Question: You briefly met with a college recruiter last week, and you reviewed a number of questions to ask about colleges. This must have gotten you thinking about your future, so tell us about it: Without any strict requirements, write about your expectations, goals, fears, concerns, questions that you have concerning your future in college. Additionally, now that you know that recruiters want to hear about you and your intellectual interests and pursuits, how do you think being an aware Academic Leader will give you an advantage when applying to the college of your choice? 

I expect my future in college to be about as fun as high school, with the addition of a more difficult set of subjects. I want to have fun with friends, while studying for a good job to sustain my future family. I also expect a high level of education and support for the subjects I struggle with, such as World History. Some of the goals I would set for my years in college are to make good relationships with friends over the time I stay, to advance as much as possible in my major and acquire a reasonable degree, as well as study another language, in my free time. I only really need to worry about my education, language fluency and my relationships with others, the three things my father taught me to focus on to become a prosperous person in life.

I only fear the overwhelming of my schedule during my years in college. While I was young, I studied English, Portuguese and German at the same time. I spoke a seperate language that combined all three languages, which could confuse any billingual or monolingual person. I was going nowhere, so I had to focus on English until I was 9 years old, when I moved to Brazil. When I was 13, I took piano and trumpet lessons, played tennis and studied logic, all in addition to the homework I crammed into my backpack. I was also going nowhere. I dropped tennis and piano class, leaving room for music, logic and my homework, which is enough work for me. What does this have to do with college? I am afraid that this exact thing will happen and harm my career.

This is basically how I felt in both the language issue and the cramming of after school activities:


In a tight schedule? Need things done? This Howcast video might help.


In a conversation with the college recruiter, being an Academic Leader will probably give me the skills to speak to the recruiter and present my intellect with skill, hopefully allowing them to see me as a special, exceptional student, making me a step closer to a prosperous life.

No comments:

Post a Comment